Prince William has paid tribute to Nelson Mandela at the UK premiere of the film 'Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom'.
The film was being shown for the first time in London's Leicester Square, with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge among the guests of honour.
On leaving the screening, and being made aware of the news, he said: “It's extremely sad and tragic news. We were just reminded what an extraordinary and inspiring man Nelson Mandela was.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family right now.”
[Elba: Mandela a massive challenge]
Mandela's daughter Zindzi was also a guest of honour at the premiere.
Idris Elba, who plays Mandela in the film, was also in attendance, as was Naomie Harris who plays Winnie Mandela.
Both took to the red carpet just hours before the announcement of the death of the former South African president at the age of 95.
So far there's no comment from the stars, though Elba spoke about his role before the screening.
“Everyone knows who Mandela is, everyone has an idea of
- Prince William pays tribute to Mandela … 10 minutes ago
- Mandela fine but frail - daughter 2 hours 45 minutes ago
- Davis: Sex And The City 3 an option 9 hours ago
- Bruckheimer heading to Paramount? 10 hours ago
- Broadbent terrified by Oscar nod 10 hours ago
- David Oyelowo for A United Kingdom 10 hours ago
- Irons stars in maths genius biopic 10 hours ago