Jamoneisha Merritt is back home after she spent 12 days in Harlem Hospital. She is recovering from second- and third-degree burns on her face and body. The child was sleeping over at a friend’s house when she was doused with scalding water in a “prank” that went gruesomely wrong.
Jamoneisha had fallen asleep on a couch and awoke to incredible pain as her face burned from the boiling water. Her friend, 12-year-old Aniya Stuart, had filled a cup with boiling water before pouring it on Jamoneisha’s head, neck, face and chest. The girl was taken into custody after the incident.
Her mother told the Daily News that she thinks the incident was an attempt to take part in the “hot-water challenge.”
The “challenge,” which kids say was inspired by YouTube videos, involves pouring boiling water on an unsuspecting friend — or, in one fatal instance, daring a friend to drink boiling water through a straw.
Fortunately, Jamoneisha is expected to fully recover. “Now I’m dancing and listening to music,” she said. However, she still has a way to go, as her arm hasn’t healed and she can’t go out in the sun.
The family has launched a fundraising page to help with Jamoneisha’s recovery, and her mother writes, “I know we have a long road ahead of us but we feel blessed that our baby girl is still here & in good spirits. We want [to] thank all of you for any & all donations we receive on behalf of Jamone.”
Read more from Yahoo Style + Beauty:
- This 35-year-old fitness pro intentionally looks twice his age
- Iskra Lawrence dances in bikini on the beach: ‘I feel like a 10 no matter what anyone says’
- Pink takes a glam ‘mom break’ selfie to pump breast milk