Another ‘Space Jam’ sequel could be on the way, despite poor reviews

·1-min read

A further instalment of Space Jam could already be in the works, despite the sequel opening to poor reviews.

Space Jam: A New Legacy, the highly anticipated follow-up to the 1996 original Looney Tunes film, made its debut in cinemas last week (16 July 2021).

Despite being a commercial success, earning over $31.7m (£23m ) in the US on its opening weekend, it proved critically divisive with a score of just 32 per cent on Rotten Tomatoes at the time of publishing.

In a two-star review for The Independent, Clarisse Loughrey wrote: “No one expected Space Jam: A New Legacy, considering its origins, to be anything other than cynical. But at its weakest, it can’t even function as effective marketing material.”

Speaking about a possible sequel to to Entertainment Weekly, director Malcolm D Lee said he would “never say never”, adding that he already has a star in mind for the next film.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

Dwayne Johnson would be an interesting choice,” Lee told the publication. “It would be different. I’m not sure what his skillset would be, maybe he goes back to wrestling. That might be interesting.”

On Monday (July 19), basketball icon LeBron James, who stars in Space Jam: A New Legacy, defended the film on Twitter.

“Hi haters,” he wrote, alongside an article from Deadline that showed how much the film had earned on its opening weekend.

Read More

Space Jam: LeBron James hits back at ‘haters’ as poorly reviewed sequel A New Legacy tops the box office

Space Jam: A New Legacy review: This exhausting sequel feels like it was directed by a sentient headache

‘Their legacy ends with your movie’: The eternal strangeness of the posthumous film

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting