The 10-year-old was bitten by a shark on Monday “while participating in an expedition in a Shark Tank at a local resort on Paradise Island," police said
Stuart Cove's has announced that the shark tank expedition at Atlantis Paradise Island's Blue Adventures resort in the Bahamas has been temporarily shut down a boy was bitten by a shark on Monday
This is the first "guest-related incident" since the company began offering the shark diving expedition in 2006, they said
The victim has since been flown back to Maryland while he continues to recover
A shark diving expedition has been temporarily shut down at a Bahamas resort after a boy was attacked there earlier this week.
The 10-year-old Maryland child was bitten by a shark on Monday afternoon “while participating in an expedition in a Shark Tank at a local resort on Paradise Island," according to a news release from the Royal Bahamas Police Force.
In a statement, Stuart Cove's, which runs the shark diving program for Atlantis Paradise Island's Blue Adventures resort, said that the guest was in the water with a "dive instructor and dive guide" when the incident occurred, according to CBS News and Good Morning America.
"The experience will remain closed during our investigation and as we review the findings," the company said, per GMA and NBC News.
“Incidents like this involving interactions with marine life, even with the species of sharks included in this experience, are rare and never acceptable,” the company added.
Neither Stuart Cove's nor Atlantis Paradise Island immediately responded to PEOPLE’s request for comment.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
The shark tank expedition is part of the Mayan temple area of the resort’s Aquaventure Zone, according to NBC News. Special helmets are used by guests to breathe underwater while they get up close and personal with nurse and reef sharks.
The resort's website previously said no swimming experience was required to participate in the expedition, though participants could not be under 10 years of age, per the report. The page is no longer available.
Other marine life experiences offered at the resort include snorkeling with dolphins, having play time with sea lions, and getting up close and personal with stingrays.
Michael and Tori Massie told NBC News they were also participating in the “Walking with the Sharks” expedition when things “took a dark turn” and the attack occurred.
“We saw the sharks hone in on him,” Tori recalled. “Then just like a pool of blood afterwards.”
The victim, who was bitten in the right leg, was transported to a local hospital for treatment, the RBPF said. He was later airlifted back to Maryland, GMA reported.
Stuart Cove's said this is the first "guest-related incident" since it began the shark diving expedition in 2006, according to GMA and NBC News.
An investigation into the incident is ongoing, according to the RBPF.
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.