Reeves announced on Twitter that Turturro would be playing Carmine Falcone, the Gotham City gangster and adversary to the Caped Crusader. He joins a cast that includes Zoe Kravitz, who will play Selina Kyle aka Catwoman, Paul Dano, who will play the Riddler, Colin Farrell, who will play the Penguin, Jeffrey Wright, who will play commissioner Gordon and Andy Serkis, who will play Alfred, are also on board.
More from Variety
- Robert Pattinson Thinks Jennifer Lopez Would Make an 'Awesome' Batman
- 'The Batman' Eyes Colin Farrell for Penguin, Andy Serkis for Alfred
- Robert Pattinson on 'The Lighthouse,' Dancing With Willem Dafoe and His Love of Little Richard
Tom Wilkinson had previously played the Falcone role in Christopher Nolan’s “Batman Begins.”
Pre-production on the Warner Bros.-DC Comics adaptation is expected to start this summer. An official start date has not yet been set, although sources tell Variety that filming could start in late 2019 or early 2020. “The Batman” is scheduled to hit theaters June 25, 2021.
Turturro can be seen next in “The Big Lebowski” spinoff “Jesus Rolls” and has the HBO limited series “The Plot Against America” coming up. He was also recently seen in Netflix’s animated series “Green Eggs and Ham” and was Emmy-nominated in 2017 for the HBO series “The Night Of.”
He is repped by ICM Partners and attorney George Sheanshang.
Best of Variety
- Oprah's Favorite Things of 2019: You Can't Go Wrong Gifting One of These This Year
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could