Showcase Cinemas has reinstated screenings of Blue Story after it became the second cinema chain to pull the gang film following a brawl at a cinema in Birmingham.
The company said extra security would be introduced after it reversed the earlier decision it made, saying then that the safety of its customers was “of the utmost importance”.
The film is still banned by Vue after the chain claimed more than 25 “significant incidents” were reported in 16 of its venues during the first 24 hours of its release.
In a statement, a Showcase Cinemas spokesperson said: “We took the decision to temporarily suspend screenings of Blue Story to enable us to assess the situation.
“After careful consideration and discussions with the distributor in the last 24 hours, we have come up with a plan to reinstate screenings of the film supported with increased security protocols and will be doing so from this evening.
“We want to reassure our guests that their safety – and that of our staff members – is our absolute priority.”
The move comes after police were called to reports of youths with machetes at the Star City multiplex on Saturday night. Two machetes and a knife were seized by police during the incident.
Six teenagers – including a 13-year-old girl – have since been arrested by West Midlands Police.
Rapman, who wrote and directed the film, said his movie was about “love not violence” and condemned the fight.
In a statement Rapman, whose real name is Andrew Onwubolu, said: “There were also a few incidents earlier this year with the release of The Joker, it’s always unfortunate, but I hope that the blame is placed with the individuals and not an indictment of the film itself.”
The film focuses on two friends from different south London postcodes, on rival sides of a street war.
This article originally appeared on HuffPost.