Boris Johnson Moved Out Of Intensive Care, Downing Street Confirms

Boris Johnson Moved Out Of Intensive Care, Downing Street Confirms

Coronavirus has changed everything. Make sense of it all with the Waugh Zone, our evening politics briefing. Sign up now.

Boris Johnson has been released from intensive care and back onto the ward of St Thomas’ Hospital, Downing Street has said. 

Saying the PM was “in extremely good spirits”, a Downing Street spokesperson said “he will receive close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery” from coronavirus.

The announcement came shortly before the now weekly cheering of the NHS workers at 8pm and Johnson’s fiancé, Carrie Symonds, marked the moment with a tweet of a rainbow and a series of clapping hands emojis.

Johnson has spent three nights in intensive care at London’s St Thomas’ Hospital after he was admitted on Sunday night with persistent symptoms of the virus. 

Initially it was described as a “precautionary” measure and on Monday he was said to be issuing instructions and working on his ministerial red boxes from his hospital bed.

But by the evening his condition had deteriorated and he was moved to the intensive care unit in case he required a ventilator.

Earlier on Thursday, chancellor Rishi Sunak announced the first big breakthrough in his health, when he said the PM was now “sitting up in bed” and “engaging positively” with medics.

The latest development was met with relief from politicians from across the board political spectrum.

President Trump said it was “great news”, adding: “Get well Boris!!!”

Meanwhile, first secretary of state Dominic Raab said a total of 7,978 patients have died in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK as of 5pm on Wednesday.

He also signalled the coronavirus lockdown is likely to be extended.

Raab said the government would make a decision towards the end of next week.

But he stressed the UK had not yet reached the peak of the epidemic and that it was “too early” to think about lifting the restrictions until that passes.

“We are not done yet,” he said. “We must keep going.” 

Love HuffPost? Become a founding member of HuffPost Plus today.

Related...

Number Of UK Coronavirus Deaths Increases By 891 In 24 Hours

Dominic Raab Signals Likely Coronavirus Lockdown Extension Next Week

Coronavirus: Police Chief U-Turn After Warning Officers Would Check Shopping Trolleys

This article originally appeared on HuffPost.