A nine-year-old boy has killed his sister after shooting her in the head in an argument over a video game controller.
The 13-year-old girl from Mississippi died from her injuries at Le Bonheur’s Children’s Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.
Police said the boy shot his sibling in the back of the head on Saturday after she would not give up the controller when he wanted it.
They said the bullet entered her brain and she was rushed to hospital, but later died.
Authorities said they do not yet know how the firearm used in the shooting had been accessed. Police said the circumstances of the shooting are still being investigated.
MOST POPULAR TODAY ON YAHOO
- British woman Anna Campbell killed after fighting Isis in Syria with all-female Kurdish group YPJ
- Putin’s opponents slam ‘dirtiest’ election as shocking ‘ballot-rigging’ videos emerge before Russian leader’s landslide win
- Vladimir Putin dismisses ‘nonsense’ British accusations of Russian involvement in spy poisoning
- How the Cold War led the world to the brink of nuclear apocalypse in 1983
- Toilet water is actually tastier than tap water, and we should all drink it, say scientists
The victim died on Sunday evening.
Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell told the Clarion Ledger: “He’s just nine.
“I assume he’s seen this on video games or TV. I don’t know if he knew exactly what this would do.
“I do know it’s a tragedy.
“This is all new ground for us, we’ve never dealt with a kid shooting a kid at age nine.”
It was reported that the children’s mother was in a different room feeding lunch to her other children while the siblings were playing video games.