A teenage boy is one of three victims seriously injured in a triple shooting in north London as residents fear for their children.
Armed officers rushed to Dog Lane in Brent after reports a person had been shot at roughly 7pm on Monday.
They found a 17-year-old boy suffering a gunshot wound.
A police circular warned parents that enhanced stop and search powers were operating across the whole of Brent for 24 hours following the shooting.
Witnesses described the armed officers performing first aid on a boy lying in the road as others kept neighbours away.
A 21-year-old man and another gunshot victim, in his early 20s, were both found nearby.
Construction worker Gentjan Kuka, 45, said: “I just came home from work I went outside to get some water and the police were everywhere. I didn’t hear a noise or any gunshot.
“I saw police cars sealed off the area completely and lots of neighbours out on the street. Police weren’t letting us get near.
“I saw somebody lying on the floor and the police were working on him.”
A 21-year-old man and another gunshot victim, in his early 20s, were found nearby.
Police said the gunman or gunmen had fled the scene.
All three victims were taken to a west London hospital, the Met said in a statement.
Mr Kuka added: “If I see something I will help police make the streets safe. All the neighbours want to help because it’s a been a bit worrying lately.
“My ten-year-old son walks around here. Anyone could be caught up in a shooting a bullet can bounce off a car or window. It’s very scary around here.”
The 17-year-old’s injuries have been assessed as non-life changing, the 21-year-old has a potentially life changing injury and the final man remains in a “serious but stable condition”.
At this early stage there have not been any arrests, Scotland Yard said.
A police circular seen by The Standard read: “To whom this may concern particularly parents of young people please be advised that a Section 60 (stop and search without the need for reasonable grounds) has been authorised by Insp Porter from 8.13pm on the 15/08/22 until 8.12pm on 16/08/22 due to a triple shooting.
“The authorisation covers all of Brent. Thank you for your continued support by passing on this information and for helping to keep our communities safe.”
It came after Kacey Boothe was named as the man shot dead outside a toddler’s first birthday party in Walthamstow on Saturday night.
In Hackney police said they will increase their patrols after two shootings within an hour on the same night.
The first incident occured about 2.40am on Saturday when a man, in his 20s, was stabbed and shots were fired in Bohemia Place. His condition is not life-threatening.
Anyone with information should call police on 101 with the reference 6551/15AUG.
Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.