Brittany Murphy ‘may have been poisoned’

Test result suggests actress who died in 2009 may have ingested rat poison

A new report claims actress Brittany Murphy, who died in December 2009, may have been poisoned.

The ‘Clueless’ and ‘8 Mile’ star died in hospital, shortly after collapsing at her Hollywood home. She had been suffering from headaches, abdominal cramps, coughing, sweating and pneumonia

Now, a new toxicology report commissioned by her father Angelo Bertolotti, suggests that Brittany did not die from natural causes, and may have in fact been poisoned.


The report, compiled by the Carlson Company, suggests ten heavy metals were found in samples of Brittany’s hair, blood and tissue, at amounts several times higher than the World Health Organisation’s “high” levels.

Brittany was found at her Hollywood home in December 2009 (Credit: Rex)

“If we were to eliminate the possibility of a simultaneous accidental heavy metals exposure to the sample donor then the only logical explanation would be an exposure to these metals (toxins) administered by a third party perpetrator with likely criminal intent,” the report states.

The heavy metals in question are more commonly found in rodenticides and insecticides.


Bizarrely, Brittany’s husband, British screenwriter and director Simon Monjack, died just five months later after suffering with similar symptoms, primarily pneumonia.

“Vicious rumors, spread by tabloids, unfairly smeared Brittany's reputation,” Bertolotti said in an interview with the Examiner. “My daughter was neither anorexic nor a drug junkie, as they repeatedly implied. Brittany and Simon were ridiculed by The Hollywood Reporter, when they complained of being under surveillance in fear for their lives. I will not rest until the truth about these tragic events is told. There will be justice for Brittany.”