Clashes and air strikes reported as Sudan ceasefire officially begins
Witnesses in the Sudanese capital reported clashes and air strikes minutes after a one-week humanitarian ceasefire took effect Monday night, with the smell of smoke still lingering after gunfire and explosions rocked Khartoum throughout the day.
The witnesses reported combat in north Khartoum, and air strikes in the east of the capital shortly after 9:45 pm (1945 GMT) when the truce was to take effect.
A series of previous truce announcements were all violated by the warring generals, but the United States and Saudi Arabia – which brokered the deal – had said this one was different because it was "signed by the parties" and will be supported by a "ceasefire monitoring mechanism".
A witness in southern Khartoum had reported an air strike, followed by silence, shortly before the ceasefire was to take effect.
Air strikes and gun fire have usually quietened down overnight during the war which has lasted more than five weeks.
Earlier on Monday, residents of the capital – anxious for a reprieve to enable them to reach stranded relatives, flee to safety or get access to humanitarian assistance – said there was little to show fighters were preparing to pause, reporting air strikes and anti-aircraft fire for the 37th consecutive day.
"Although I doubt it will be implemented across Sudan," he said.
Read more on FRANCE 24 English
Sudan ceasefire is 'building block' but 'third party' required for lasting peace
Air strikes hit Khartoum as Sudan fighting enters sixth week
Heavy fighting in Khartoum hours after Sudan rivals agree to upcoming ceasefire