Simon Kinberg is producing the movie as is Ayer and Chris Long’s production company Cedar Park Entertainment with Long serving as an exec producer.
More from Variety
- 'Deputy' Team to Develop Fox Drama 'Troubleshooter'
- Fox to Develop DEA Drama Series From 'Deputy' Team
- David Ayer to Develop Private Military Contractor Series at Showtime (EXCLUSIVE)
The original 1967 war film was helmed by Robert Aldrich and featured an all-star ensemble that included Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Telly Savalas, Robert Webber and Donald Sutherland. Based on the E.M. Nathanson novel, the film centered on a top-secret mission before the Normandy Invasion, where a group of hardened Army prisoners were trained to conduct a suicide mission — to stage an assault on a chateau in Brittany, where dozens of high-ranking German officers were meeting.
The movie will be set in the present day with a similar storyline as the original, focusing on a rag-tag group of soldiers.
Ayer and Warner Bros. last worked together on the first “Suicide Squad” pic, which earned almost $750 million worldwide in 2016. Since then, Ayer has helmed the Netflix thriller “Bright,” reuniting him with his “Suicide Squad” star Will Smith. Netflix immediately put a sequel into development.
He most recently directed the thriller “The Tax Collector,” which reteamed him with “Fury” star Shia LaBeouf. Ayer is repped by WME.
Best of Variety
- Who Votes for the Golden Globes? A Hollywood Foreign Press Association Explainer
- Hollywood’s 10 Worst Depictions of Female Music Journalists
- Biggest Scandals, Feuds and Apologies of 2019