It’s confirmed: The X-Men spin-off ‘Deadpool’ has finally been greenlit by the powers that be at 20th Century Fox and Marvel Studios.
It will be released on February 12, 2016.
The character first appeared in the 2009 film ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine’, (see above) with Ryan Reynolds playing the part and we assume he will back for the spin-off.
Fans have been incredibly keen for Reynolds’ incarnation of the character to reach the big screen, with test footage for a Deadpool film receiving an ecstatic reception when it leaked in July.
“There was such an overpowering reaction to the footage, you sort of feel like, ‘Oh, so we weren’t crazy for our reasons for loving this character, for loving this role.’ It’s interesting to see the power of the Internet. It’s awe-inspiring, actually,” Reynolds told the Niagara Falls Review.
If the test footage is a reflection of the actual script, then fans should expect gruesome violence, swearing, breaking the fourth wall and plenty of jokes.
Last year when we spoke to Reynolds about Deadpool, he said: “[In] its current iteration the movie’s actually very small. There’s minimal impact to the studio, which is the way we’re kind of presenting it to them. We’re saying ‘Look, the budget is minimal. Therefore, can we do this the way it should be done?’ Which unfortunately needs a Rated R [age certificate] or it needs those elements.
“It’s very meta, I mean the character knows he’s in a movie, he knows he’s in a comic book. He names studio executives in the script. So, it’s kind of a risky property. But, you know, we’ll see.”
Last year director Tim Miller also had to reassure fans of the character that the ‘Deadpool’ movie was still alive. He told Clevver Movies: “Deadpool is still alive and we’re just waiting for the studio to embrace what an amazingly f*****g awesome film this would be.”
The director added: “Ryan is ready. The fans are more than ready. We just need that elusive green light. “We will never give up.”
Looks like all that hard work paid off.