Denver Teen, 13, Accused of Killing a Grandfather on a Bus Over His 'Leg Blocking the Aisle,' Police Say

The teenager is "being held for investigation," according to the Denver Police Department

<p>Andy Cross/The Denver Post via Getty</p> A RTD bus in Denver, Colorado.

Andy Cross/The Denver Post via Getty

A RTD bus in Denver, Colorado.

A 13-year-old boy in Denver, Colorado, was taken into custody this week after police allege he fatally shot a 60-year-old man on a bus following a disagreement over the man's "leg blocking the aisle," authorities said.

On Friday, the Denver Police Department (DPD) said that a teen, whose identity has not been shared, was arrested for the fatal Jan. 27 shooting, which took place on a bus at the intersection of South Federal Boulevard and West Mississippi Avenue around 6:41 p.m. local time.

Police say their investigation has so far found that there was a "verbal exchange between the suspect and victim about the victim's leg blocking the aisle on the bus, and the suspect then shot the victim."

After the incident, the victim, the DPD said, was transported to a local hospital "where he was pronounced dead."

The victim has since been identified as grandfather Richard Sanchez, according to The Denver Post and KDVR, which cited family members.

Another victim suffered a "minor injury," police say, but they were not transported to the hospital.

Related: 21-Year-Old Who Fell Asleep on Seattle Bus Is Randomly Shot Dead, 17-Year-Old Suspect Turns Himself In

The teenager involved "is currently being held for Investigation of First-Degree Murder, and the investigation is ongoing," police said in their statement. "The final determination of charges will be made by the Denver District Attorney's Office."

A spokesperson for the DA's office told PEOPLE on Saturday that there is "no update yet" regarding charges.

The shooting, per KDVR, took place on a Regional Transportation District (RTD) bus. The Regional Transportation District did not immediately respond to PEOPLE's request for comment on Saturday.

Joseph Chavez, Sanchez's grandson, previously opened up to reporters at the site of the incident, where he told KDVR that his grandfather's death felt "unreal." He remembered him as a "really happy dude."

“I was really heartbroken, honestly,” Chavez added.

Sanchez's family told the outlet that they did not find out about his death until they reported him missing to police days later.

“I don’t understand how someone could do that to such an honest person," Chavez said. "It’s been hard because we didn’t know where he was at, and the whole time, he was at the hospital and they didn’t contact us."

He added, "Nobody was there with him during his last breath.”

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.