A 16-year-old boy fatally stabbed just yards from his home in a quiet cul-de-sac in north London has been named by relatives as Taye Faik.
The teenager died in Kendal Gardens in Edmonton after being stabbed just before 11.30pm on Sunday.
His uncle, Altough Faik, 42, who was at the scene visiting his grief-stricken sister, said: “He was a beautiful boy. We are devastated. He had a bright future ahead of him. He hasn’t been given the chance to flourish like he would have.
“He was always smiling and was a pleasure to be around. He managed to get to his house after being stabbed. These boys must lay down these knives.
“All I can imagine is the look on his face as he was stabbed. I keep playing it over and over in my mind.”
No arrests have yet been made in connection with the fatal stabbing. A cordon remained around the scene on Monday morning as forensics’ officers trawled for clues.
A witness described how two balaclava-clad thugs ambushed the victim and fatally stabbed him just yards from his doorstep.
The teenager was jumped by two attackers, one driving a blue SUV and another a black Volvo, the witness said.
They said: “The cars pulled up. One guy walks up the street and asks someone for a light then goes away. It looked like he was casing the situation.
“Then shortly after there were two people in balaclavas who attacked the boy with a machete. He was stabbed multiple times and it looked like a targeted attack.
“After the stabbing the two vehicles, a blue SUV and the Volvo sped off, and I mean really fast.
“The boy managed to drag himself to his house just yards away. There was blood everywhere. I don’t know what went off but they came for him, it looked like.”
Met Detective Chief Superintendent Caroline Haines, the top officer in the borough, said: “I thank local people for their patience as police have worked through the night.
“They will continue to see a police presence and ongoing activity in their neighbourhood in the coming days, and I encourage people in the community to speak with those officers if they have any information or concerns that they wish to share.
“My thoughts and most sincere sympathies are with the family and friends of the victim. The family will be supported by dedicated police officers throughout the unimaginably difficult days and months ahead.
“We will be there for them, and I can assure them that skilled and tenacious detectives will be working to bring to justice whoever was responsible for this terrible crime.”
Witnesses described how a convoy of police cars raced into the quiet residential street after the killing.
One said: “It was bedlam, nine police cars raced into the cul-de-sac where the boy was on the ground, it was outside a house.
“There was panic and shouting, we are all really shaken up. I have a grandson around that age who lives nearby it makes you think the worst.”
Another resident said: “The bit was near a driveway in the cul-de-sac. I was only visiting the area as I moved out because of the violence around here. Still, it’s a total shock that someone so young is dead. My prayers are with his family.”
The 16-year-old is the 16th teenage victim of homicide in the capital so far this year.
The killing comes just days after schoolgirl Elianne Andam, 15, lost her life after being fatally stabbed during last Wednesday’s morning rush hour in Croydon.
Officers ask anyone who has any information about the Edmonton stabbing to call 101, referencing the crime reference number 7767/01oct. To remain anonymous please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or contact them online.