EVACUATION MODE: A fire rescue was conducted on Thursday afternoon on London’s busy luxury shopping destination Bond Street as smoke came out of the basement level of the jeweler Chatila on 22 Old Bond Street, the southern end of the road that connects with Piccadilly.
As witnessed by WWD, three rescue vehicles arrived at the scene and evacuated the area to prevent the incident from harming nearby shoppers.
More from WWD
Surrounding retailers including Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen and Moncler suspended trading temporarily as a dozen firefighters sought to put out the flames.
According to the London Fire Brigade’s update on X, formerly known as Twitter, the accident was caused by an electrical short circuit, and no injuries were reported.
Built at the turn of the 20th century, the Grade II listed building that has hosted Chatila on 22 Old Bond since 1987, is also home to two art galleries and a private equity firm.
The long leasehold of the property is owned by Royal London Asset Management, part of the UK’s largest mutually owned pension and investment company Royal London Group.
A similar situation occurred last year with Tiffany & Co.’s landmark store on Fifth Avenue in New York City. The brand confirmed that an electrical fire broke out in the basement of the store before opening hours. There was said to be no damage to the store’s interior or its swath of pricey jewelry, watches, fine china, gifts, accessories, and other signature items.
Best of WWD