It was recently reported that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had logged out of social media for good.
However, the Duke of Sussex, 36, has denied that he and the duchess, 39, have “quit” the likes of Instagram and Twitter once and for all.
In an interview with Fast Company, the father-of-one – who lives with the former actress and their one-year-old son in California, after stepping back from royal duties a year ago – pointed out that they had “no social media to quit”.
He noted that they stopped posting on their @sussexroyal Instagram account, which has amassed 10.4 million followers, in March last year.
The duke said: “We woke up one morning a couple of weeks ago to hear that a Rupert Murdoch newspaper said we were evidently quitting social media.”
He added: "That was 'news' to us, bearing in mind we have no social media to quit, nor have we for the past 10 months."
Earlier this month, The Sunday Times reported that the duke and duchess had no intention of using social media to promote their non-profit organisation Archewell.
The paper quoted a source – described as being “close to the couple” – as saying they were “very unlikely” to return to online platforms in a personal capacity.
However, Harry has refused to rule out ever doing so, stating: "We will revisit social media when it feels right for us.
“Perhaps when we see more meaningful commitments to change or reform – but right now we’ve thrown much of our energy into learning about this space and how we can help."
The couple’s current social media hiatus comes after the duchess spoke about the “almost unsurvivable” online abuse she was subject to in 2019.
Speaking on the Teenager Therapy podcast in October, she said: “I’m told that in 2019 I was the most trolled person in the entire world, male or female.
“Now, eight months of that I wasn’t even visible, I was on maternity leave or with a baby.
“But what was able to just be manufactured and churned out, it’s almost unsurvivable, that’s so big, you can’t think of what that feels like, because I don’t care if you’re 15 or 25, if people are saying things about you that aren’t true, what that does to your mental and emotional health is so damaging.”
Harry’s friend Tom Bradby has claimed the prince is “heartbroken” over the situation with his family.
However, the ITV broadcaster told Alan Titchmarsh on his show Love Your Weekend with Alan Titchmarsh that the couple are “feeling better” and “content” in their new US home.
The presenter said: “I think they are feeling better yes, I mean there has been a huge amount that has happened over the last year that I can’t talk about and I don’t want to talk about, and an awful lot of what has been said is kind of not accurate and not right.
“That is occasionally frustrating because I am sittIng there biting my fists thinking, ‘Well, this is just nonsense.’
“So are they unhappy? No, I think they are content, the things they are doing they are quite excited by.
“I think he is heartbroken by the situation with his family, you don’t necessarily need to have knowledge to know that, but I think it is true.”