John Torode’s kitchen burst into flames behind him while the TV chef carried on cooking oblivious.
The MasterChef judge was demonstrating to This Morning viewers how to recreate a McDonald’s sausage and egg McMuffin from his home via video link, when he left a tea towel on top of his gas hob.
Hosts Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield frantically shouted: “Fire! Behind you John! Fire! Your tea towel’s on fire!”
But Torode, 54, was busy putting muffins into the toaster, and due to a time delay did not hear their warnings immediately.
By the time he became alerted to what was happening the tea towel was fully engulfed in flames and he quickly threw it into the sink and turned the tap on, shouting, “Thank you!”
Torode added: “I’ll just open the back door,” as smoke filled the room.
Willoughby, 39, gasped: “Oh my gosh! Are you okay? You were so calm!”
— This Morning (@thismorning) April 28, 2020
He told the This Morning hosts, “It’s alright guys, I’m here!”
As Torode tried to continue with his demonstration the fire alarm then went off and he had to leave Schofield and Willoughby to improvise from the studio while he flapped another tea towel at the sensor in an effort to clear the smoke.
He later told Willoughby and Schofield he had not been hurt or burnt. He said: “I’m all okay, everything’s fine. The recipe got lost a little bit!”
Torode lives in North London with wife Lisa Faulkner and her adopted daughter.
The TV chef recently confessed he’s really enjoying housework while being in lockdown.
He told Kate Thornton’s White Wine Question Time podcast: “Oh, the ironing's really exciting for me. I have to have my sheets and my duvet ironed. The thing is, because we are busy, we have somebody come in and help us do the ironing sometimes and actually they can't come because we're all self-isolating.”