Kristen Wiig turned down Bridesmaids sequel

Actress and writer says that it wasn't a hard decision

Kristen Wiig has revealed that she turned down a big money offer to star in a sequel to her breakthrough movie 'Bridesmaids'.

Wiig, who also wrote the film with writing partner Annie Mumolo, was given the opportunity to reunite the cast, but passed.

“It wasn't a hard decision,” she told Harper's Bazaar.“We knew during the first one, this was it. We would have made a lot of money if there was a second one, but that's not my goal in my creative life.”



The first film did indeed make a lot of money.

Directed by Paul Feig, and produced by Judd Apatow, it scored £288 million (£189 million) from its $32.5 million budget.

Though Wiig was known for her work on 'Saturday Night Live' in the US, it thrust her and co-star Melissa McCarthy into the spotlight.


It also earned Wiig and Mumolo an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay, and another nod for Best Supporting Actress for McCarthy.

Both McCarthy and co-star Maya Rudolph have previously said they'd be up for a sequel.

Wiig will next be seen playing the new love interest for Steve Carrell's Brick Tamland in 'Anchorman 2'.