Lily James has confirmed that Edgar Wright is working on a sequel to the 2017 hit action comedy Baby Driver.
The 31-year-old told NME that she is “praying” that it will get made. In fact, she is so eager to reprise her role as Debora, the love interest for Ansel Elgort’s musically inclined getaway driver, that she provided this update, even though she had been asked for her thoughts on a potential Mamma Mia: Here I Go Again sequel.
Watch: Edgar Wright wants to start work on Baby Driver sequel
After dismissing talk of Mamma Mia 3, James instead emphatically declared, “I also just want to do Baby Driver 2. That’s what I’m hoping for … I’m just praying for it.”
Unfortunately this doesn’t mean that she actually has any information about what might happen in a Baby Driver follow-up. After being asked whether she had any ideas about a potential plot, she just said that she thinks writer and director Edgar Wright has some.
Wright has long spoken of his desire to make a Baby Driver sequel, saying that Sony Pictures had asked him to write a script soon after the original had made £173 million ($226.9 million) from just a £26 million ($34 million) budget.
There’s an outside chance that James’ character might not actually be involved in a Baby Driver sequel. That’s because Wright previously insisted that his current draft of the script introduces a whole array of new characters.
Considering the end of the original, though, which saw Ansel Elgort’s Baby reuniting with Debora after his stint in jail, it seems more likely that she’ll be down for the ride again.
Wright is currently putting the finishing touches to his upcoming psychological horror film Last Night In Soho, which is now due out on April 23, 2021.