The return of Loki to Disney+ didn’t cause quite as big a stir as the show’s debut.
Season two of the Marvel series premiered Oct. 5, and it gathered 446 million minutes of viewing time over its first three days and change (it was released at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT Oct. 5 in the United States), according to Nielsen’s streaming rankings. That’s about 39 percent lower than the 731 million minutes of viewing for Loki’s series premiere week in June 2021.
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Disney said that the season two premiere, which runs 47 minutes, had 10.9 million “views” worldwide, which would equate to about 512 million minutes of watch time (the increasingly standard definition of a streaming view is total viewing time divided by run time). The 446 million minutes recorded by Nielsen includes viewing of season one’s six episodes as well, so it’s hard to say exactly how much time U.S. viewers spent watching just the season two opener — though it’s likely responsible for the majority of viewing time for the week.
Suits continued its run atop the overall rankings, amassing 1.28 billion minutes of viewing on Netflix and Peacock for Oct. 2-8. Grey’s Anatomy also cracked the billion-minute mark for just the second time in the three-year history of Nielsen’s streaming charts.
Netflix’s Love Is Blind (821 million minutes) was the only original series to make the overall top 10 for the week; the other nine entrants are acquired shows or movies. Ahsoka (575 million minutes) was fairly steady for the week of its finale on Disney+, and Hulu’s Only Murders in the Building (563 million) grew by 11.5 percent week-to-week with its season three finale.
The Disney+ premiere of Haunted Mansion racked up 992 million minutes of viewing for the week, continuing a strong recent run of movie debuts for the streamer after Elemental, The Little Mermaid and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
Nielsen’s streaming ratings cover viewing on TV sets only and don’t include minutes watched on computers or mobile devices. The ratings only measure U.S. audiences, not those in other countries. The top streaming titles for Oct. 2-8 are below.
1. Suits (Netflix/Peacock), 1.28 billion minutes viewed
2. Grey’s Anatomy (Netflix), 1 billion
3. Haunted Mansion (Disney+), 992 million
4. Reptile (Netflix), 838 million
5. Love Is Blind (Netflix), 821 million
6. Bluey (Disney+), 701 million
7. NCIS (Netrflix/Paramount+), 666 million
8. Gilmore Girls (Netflix), 628 million
9. Elemental (Disney+), 621 million
10. Cocomelon (Netflix), 597 million
1. Love Is Blind, 821 million minutes
2. Ahsoka (Disney+), 575 million
3. Only Murders in the Building (Hulu), 563 million
4. Beckham (Netflix), 519 million
5. Virgin River (Netflix), 485 million
6. Loki (Disney+), 446 million
7. Sex Education (Netflix), 443 million
8. Lupin (Netflix), 436 million
9. The Wheel of Time (Prime Video), 430 million
10. Gen V (Prime Video), 378 million
1. Suits, 1.28 billion minutes
2. Grey’s Anatomy, 1 billion
3. Bluey, 701 million
4. NCIS, 666 million
5. Gilmore Girls, 628 million
6. Cocomelon, 597 million
7. Shameless (Netflix), 497 million
7 (tie). SWAT (Hulu/Netflix/Paramount+), 497 million
9. Friends (Max), 424 million
10. The Big Bang Theory (Max), 418 million
1. Haunted Mansion, 992 million minutes
2. Reptile, 838 million
3. Elemental, 621 million
4. Nowhere (2023) (Netflix), 475 million
5. Last Vegas (Netflix), 319 million
6. Casper (Netflix), 298 million
7. Dune (2021) (Max/Netflix), 272 million
8. Meg 2: The Trench (Netflix), 250 million
9. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Disney+), 245 million
10. Fair Play (2023) (Netflix), 235 million
Best of The Hollywood Reporter