London Bridge attack: Shocking video shows moment suspect shot dead by police

Tom Belger
Finance and policy reporter

A shocking video shows the moment a suspected attacker in a fake suicide vest was shot dead by police after several people were stabbed in what police have declared as a terrorist incident at London Bridge.

The Met Police have confirmed that a man wearing a suspected hoax explosive device was shot by officers in the incident on Friday afternoon, and died at the scene. They have urged the public to remain vigilant and avoid the area.

An eyewitness in contact with Yahoo News UK posted a video on social media around 40 minutes after police said they were first called to a stabbing at around 2pm in central London.

He tweeted from his @HLOBlog account: “Please stay away from London Bridge! I just saw a man with a knife being shot in the head by police.”

LATEST: Many injured and man detained after stabbing in the capital

The footage appears to be filmed from a nearby bus, and shows a group of police officers surrounding an individual pinned down on the pavement on a bridge. Passengers can be heard saying they can see a knife, which may have been retrieved by one of the officers.

The officers then moved quickly away from the individual, who tried to sit up.

A loud bang can then be heard as several officers aimed their weapons at the individual, who collapsed suddenly back to the ground and lay motionless. People on the bus can then be heard yelling in shock.

Footage shows a man pinned down by police shortly before he appeared to be shot. Photo: Twitter / @HBOBlog

Dozens of officers and ambulance crews flooded the scene. Part of the area was evacuated and cordoned off. The London Ambulance Service declared a “major incident” and said it had a number of crews at the scene.

The Metropolitan Police said they had been called to a stabbing at a premises near London Bridge at around 2pm.

Neil Basu, the Met’s assistant commissioner for specialist operations, said their “heartfelt sympathies” went out to those waiting for news from loved ones.

“Officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command are now leading this investigation. I must stress, however, that we retain an open mind as to any motive. It would not be appropriate to speculate further at this time,” he said in a statement outside Scotland Yard.

READ MORE: Eyewitness says ‘several people’ stabbed at conference hall

Eyewitness Coralie, who asked Yahoo News to withhold her last name, said over WhatsApp that she saw “two, three people stabbed” at Fishmongers’ Hall on Friday where she was working.

“I was in the building when I heard the screams and one girl ran towards me because she got stabbed in her arm and everyone inside the conference started to panic.”