1. Love Island first aired way back in 2005 when it was titled Celebrity Love Island. It ran for two series before being axed.
2. Rather than being on ITV2, it aired on primetime ITV, in the 9pm slot.
3. The show was set much further afield than Mallorca or Cape Town, with Fiji acting as the Island.
4. The first series came from Armstrong Island, but the location changed for series two, where they used Nadi Island.
5. Patrick Kielty and Kelly Brook were the original hosts, with Fearne Cotton stepping in to replace Kelly for the second series in 2006.
6. The show had a similar format to I’m A Celebrity, with the hosts doing live links in between each segment of villa action from the previous day.
7. There was no narration, let alone the comedy tones of Iain Stirling, who would have been just 17 when the original series aired.
8. The presenters hosted the show from a little jetty into the sea, just a stone’s throw from where the Islanders were living.
9. Each week, the public voted for who they wanted to send to the Love Shack (aka The Hideaway, as we know it today) together, as well as voting to evict one contestant from the Island.
10. The evictions took place in a live setting, like Big Brother, with the contestants receiving an interview afterwards.
11. There was no coupling-up or recoupling, and the contestants certainly weren’t receiving texts on the Island. It was 2005, after all.
12. Despite being celebrities, the winning couple won £50,000 between them, which is actually the same amount the non-celebrity contestants win today.
13. The villa was much more rustic than the sleek and vibrant one we see on TV today.
14. There was even a real-life fish tank in what we know today as the Beach Hut.
15. The contestants in series one were Jayne Middlemiss, Fran Cosgrave, Calum Best, Paul Danan, Michael Greco, Lady Isabella Hervey, Du’aine Ladejo, Rebecca Loos, Liz McClarnon, Lee Sharpe, Judi Shenkoni, Abi Titmuss and Nikki Ziering.
16. The series was won by Jayne and Fran, despite the fact they were not romantically linked.
17. The contestants in series two were Bianca Gascoigne, Kéllé Bryan, Brendan Cole, Kate Lawler, Chris Brosnan, Sophie Anderton, Lee Otway, Colleen Shannon, Shane Lynch, Emma and Eve Ryan, Emily Scott, Lady Victora Hervey and Alicia Douvall.
18. In series two, Paul Danan and Calum Best returned as late entrants, with the latter going on to win the series with Bianca. They went on to have a short-lived relationship in the outside world, later being reunited on Celebrity Big Brother in 2017. Calum also popped up on the first series of the revived Love Island in 2015, taking the male Islanders on a lads’ night out in Mallorca.
19. There were also house guests in the form of Abs from Five, Dennis Rodman and Steve-O.
20. The current spin-off series Aftersun actually originated from the 2006 series, and it was presented by series one winner Jayne Middlemiss and Matt Brown, airing on ITV2.
21. The original Love Island theme tune was taken from a song called Wish I by Jem, although a specially-composed theme was used for series two.
MORE LOVE ISLAND...
22. Bethany causes mayhem within minutes of arriving – series 1
29. Calum Best pays a visit – series 1
32. Everything Olivia Attwood did and said – series 3
33. See also: Ovie – series 5
This article originally appeared on HuffPost.