Star Wars Scum and Villainy

Lucasfilm confirms J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII

LucasFilm has finally confirmed that 'Star Trek' man J.J. Abrams will direct 'Star Wars: Episode VII'.

Abrams will work with Oscar-winning screenwriter Michael Arndt on the film set for release in 2015.

The Wrap first broke the story of Abrams' appointment on Thursday citing a source close to the production, however official confirmation only came earlier today.

[Related story: Poster artist Drew Struzan may return for new 'Star Wars']

[Related story: Film world reacts to J.J. Abrams directing 'Star Wars 7' ]

In a statement on the official 'Star Wars' website Abrams described getting the job as an "absolute honour".

"I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid," he said.

Lucas, whose involvement in future films will minimal after Disney purchased LucasFilm from him for $4billion last year, also commented on the appointment of Abrams.

"I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller," he said. "He's an ideal choice to direct the new 'Star Wars' film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

[Related story : Lego 'Star Wars' accused of racism]

LucasFilm's new president Kathleen Kennedy also commented, saying: "It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new 'Star Wars' movie.

"J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise."

Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter on 'The Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi', and Simon Kinberg who wrote 'Sherlock Holmes' will also act as a creative consultants when the production gets into gear.

The statement also confirmed that Abrams' long-time producing partner Bryan Burk and his production company Bad Robot will help produce the film.