Authorities said that the 22-year-old suspect wore body armor and had with him a semi-automatic rifle and IEDs
A heavily armed man was found dead Saturday morning at a Colorado amusement park before it was set to open to the public, authorities said.
In an updated news release Monday, the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office said it responded to a report of a deceased 22-year-old male at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, adding that, based on an investigation, the man entered the park after hours when no employees were present.
There is no reference in the news release to how the suspect, who has not yet been identified, died. However, in a statement shared with PEOPLE Monday, the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park said that the Garfield County Coroner was present and "states that they are investigating the death as a suicide.”
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
“He was dressed in black colored tactical clothing bearing patches and emblems that gave the appearance of being associated with law enforcement," read the sheriff's office statement.
“The suspect had been heavily armed with a semi-automatic rifle and semi-automatic handgun with multiple, loaded magazines for both weapons," the statement continued. "He was wearing body armor and what appeared to be a ballistic helmet.”
Authorities also added that a number of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were found with the suspect and in a van linked to the suspect. The sheriff’s office said that the Grand Junction Bomb Squad arrived at the scene and was able to render the devices safe.
The bomb squad members also swept the park to find any IEDs that may have been planted on the premises and the rides, said authorities. “Our investigation has so far indicated that nobody in the public was at risk,” continued the sheriff’s office statement. “It would appear that the suspect’s actions were limited to the property of the Glenwood Caverns.”
The statement said that the residence of the suspect, who hailed from the Carbondale area, was also searched by authorities as part of their initial two-day investigation to ensure the public’s safety and “to determine the extent of his criminal activity.”
“While this investigation is still ongoing and very active,” said the sheriff’s office, “it is important to realize that given the amount of weaponry, ammunition, and explosive devices found, the suspect could have implemented an attack of devastating proportions on our community and first responders.”
“This very sad and tragic incident reminds us how much our Glenwood Springs community means to us," Nancy Heard, the theme park's general manager, said in a statement shared with PEOPLE. "We appreciate the swift action and thorough work of the Garfield County Sheriff’s Department and Coroner’s Office, as well as the Garfield County All Hazard Response Team and other authorities assisting in the investigation, working together to ensure the park is safe to reopen. Thank you for all you do.”
The park also noted its safety measures in the statement.
“Multiple security programs are in place including an extensive network of security cameras, alarms, fencing, gates and posted signage," the park's statement noted. "Lock-out protocols provide protection for engineering, ride operation and ride-restricted areas, as well as sensitive buildings. The incident on October 28 did not take place in any of these areas and was not related to any rides or attractions.”
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.