Melissa Barrera and Jenna Ortega will not return for the upcoming 'Scream VII,' and director Christopher Landon has backed out of the project
Mason Gooding, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Liana Liberato, Tony Revolori, Skeet Ulrich and Jack Quaid each surrounded Barrera and Ortega in the snapshots, which were taken at the Motion Picture & Television Fund's The Evening Before gala.
"Yeah 😍," Barrera wrote in a caption to her post. Ulrich, 53, commented, "Sweet reunion!!" while Quaid, 31, chimed in with a "HELL yeah" to accentuate Barrera's caption. "I just love ya," Gooding, 27, wrote in a comment, while Liberato wrote, "oooooh yeah."
In November it was revealed that neither Barrera or Ortega will appear in the upcoming Scream VII. In the franchise, the pair played sisters Sam and Tara Carpenter, whose familial connection to original Scream villain Billy Loomis (Ulrich) makes them targets for new serial killers.
Barrera was fired from Scream VII due to posts she shared on social media in October and November regarding the ongoing Israel-Hamas war. Spyglass, the studio behind the films, said in a statement at the time that it held "zero tolerance for antisemitism or the incitement of hate in any form."
Barrera said in a statement after that she was using her social media platform "to raise awareness about issues I care about and to lend my voice to those in need." She also added, "First and foremost I condemn Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia. I condemn hate and prejudice of any kind against any group of people."
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
News broke the following day that Ortega had also left the project, though her departure was reportedly not connected to Barrera's exit.
Then, in December, Christopher Landon, who had been named Scream VI's director in August, announced he dropped out of the film. The filmmaker referred to the project as "a dream job that turned into a nightmare."
Original star Neve Campbell, who declined to return for last year's sequel due to a contract dispute, told The Hollywood Reporter at the BAFTA Tea Party on Saturday, "I know things are spinning at the moment, and I would imagine they are spinning at the top trying to figure out what they’re going to do."
"I would not be surprised to get a call,” Campbell, 50, added.
“But at the same time, I made a strong statement a few years ago, which is I did not believe that the way that I was treated would’ve happened if I had been a male and that I deserve a certain thing for having carried this franchise for as long as I have," she added.
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.