Mum warns about dangers of 'The Deodorant Challenge' after daughter is left severely burnt

A mum is warning about the dangers of ‘The Deodorant Challenge’ after her daughter was severely burnt [Photo: Facebook/Jamie Prescott/Getty]

A mum has issued a warning to parents about the dangers of ‘The Deodorant Challenge’ after the new playground craze left her daughter with second-degree burns.

Fidget spinners, Fortnite and flossing – kids can’t get enough of viral crazes right now.

But some trends are more risky than others and one parent is keen to shout about the dangers.

Taking to Facebook, Jamie Prescott shared some images of her daughter’s severely burnt arms and went on to explain that ‘The Deodorant Challenge’, which has been growing in popularity in school playgrounds of late, had been the cause of the injuries.

“For any parents who have children, please, please sit them down and show them these pictures,” she wrote.

“These are the damaging results of something known as ‘The Deodorant Challenge’ which is currently doing the rounds in Yate and literally involves spraying deodorant on to someone else for as long as possible.”

Jamie said her daughter’s arms had received severe secondary burns.

“The pictures below are that of my Year 10 daughter’s arm THREE WEEKS ON which may still as yet require a skin graft,” she wrote.

Speaking to Somerset Live, the mum revealed that the incident happened on April 18, but that she didn’t notice her daughter’s arm until the following day when it started blistering.

“She [daughter Ellie] still regularly has to see a practice nurse and go to the surgery once a week. 

“As you can see from the yellow padding, it is still weeping excessively.”

The mum explained that her daughter received the injury after going to a nearby park with some friends.

“Apparently, when they asked her to put out her arm she did it but she had no idea of the consequences and hadn’t even heard of The Deodorant Challenge before that point.

“Since then other children have asked her what is wrong with her arm and when she has told them, they have then replied that they have also had it done to them and showed her their scars.”

‘The Deodorant Challenge’ is a craze currently sweeping playgrounds [Photo: Getty]

Now the mum is keen to warn other parents about the dangers. “Even if we can prevent just one more child from going through this, it will be worth it.”

And it seems to be working as since sharing, her post has gone viral clocking up over 3K shares and receiving hundreds of comments from other parents thanking her for bringing the trend to their attention.

“Well done for sharing. Kids are silly and do things thinking they are cool without considering the consequence. Harsh lesson learned! I hope your daughters arm recovers well,” one user wrote.

“Omg this is awful. My nephew was doing this when he started secondary school. It’s it so ridiculous, why are the teachers not aware about this,” another added.

“OMG your poor daughter I will definitely show my 10 year and a 8 year old daughter this and tell them not to allow anyone to do this with deodorant. Thanks for sharing this,” a third parent wrote.

It isn’t the first time parents have used social media as a tool for for warning other parents. Last summer, a mum took to Facebook to raise awareness about the dangers of heatstroke. 

And earlier this year another mum warned other parents about the risks of choking after her child died after reportedly choking on mini eggs.

Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for non-stop inspiration delivered fresh to your feed, every day. For Twitter updates, follow @YahooStyleUK.

Read more from Yahoo Style UK:

Mum sparks fierce debate about getting her four-year-old daughter’s ears pierced

How much is too much to spend on children’s party bags?

Parents upset by restaurant’s notice to keep noisy children quiet