The King's sister held an investiture on his behalf a day after his cancer diagnosis was made public
Princess Anne is carrying on with royal duties.
A day after King Charles, 75, revealed his cancer diagnosis, his sister handed out honors to ordinary people and outstanding public figures during an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle on Tuesday.
Princess Anne, 73, was already set to carry out the ceremony (she, along with Charles’ son Prince William, undertakes many each year) as King Charles was sidelined due to his recent operation for an enlarged prostate. But it was a poignant reminder of how the members of the royal family will be fulfilling roles for the monarch.
"A list of Honours, recognizing outstanding achievements, personal bravery and services to the U.K. and British Overseas Territories, is published twice a year by the Cabinet Office: at New Year and in June to mark the Monarch's official birthday. The presentation of the award insignia — or medals — however, happens at Investitures throughout the year," the royal family's website describes the investiture ceremonies. Operatic tenor Nicholas Spence, rugby referee Sara Cox and wheelchair rugby player James Simpson were among those who collected their awards from the Princess on Tuesday.
Later on Tuesday, Princess Anne arrived for a visit to a community center in Nottinghamshire. Anne, who often takes the title of hardest-working royal for the number of engagements she embarks on each year, went to learn about how a new project is helping local residents improve their mental health.
It was while King Charles was undergoing the procedure to treat an enlarged prostate last month that Buckingham Palace said his cancer was discovered. The statement released on Monday said, "During The King's recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer."
The statement went on: "His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual."
The statement added that the King — who was last seen in public on Sunday when he attended church with his wife, Queen Camilla — was "wholly positive" about his treatment. "His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer."
Can't get enough of PEOPLE's Royals coverage? Sign up for our free Royals newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
Earlier on Tuesday, British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak told the BBC that the cancer had been caught early.
“Obviously, like everyone else, shocked and sad, and just all our thoughts are with him and his family. Thankfully, this has been caught early,” Sunak told BBC Radio 5 Live. Sunak added that he hopes the King “gets the treatment that he needs and makes a full recovery.”
“That’s what we’re all hoping and praying for, and I’m of course in regular contact with him and will continue to communicate with him as normal,” he continued.
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.