- "Modern Family" star Sarah Hyland was blown away when she ran into "Joker" star Joaquin Phoenix at a Golden Globes after-party on Sunday.
- Phoenix, who won an award for his portrayal of Arthur Fleck in "Joker," was visibly uncomfortable as Hyland acted starstruck for cameras on the after-party red carpet.
- At one point, the "Modern Family" actress even bowed down to Phoenix with her hands in a prayer position.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
"Modern Family" actress Sarah Hyland literally bowed down to Joaquin Phoenix upon meeting him at a Golden Globes after-party on Sunday, awkward photos showed.
Hyland and Phoenix, who won an award earlier that night for his portrayal of unhinged comedian Arthur Fleck in "Joker," both attended the after-party hosted by InStyle and Warner Bros.
But when Hyland and Phoenix crossed paths on the red carpet for the event, things got a bit awkward. The actress acted starstruck for cameras, while a visibly uncomfortable Phoenix held his Golden Globe and tried to have a conversation with Hyland.
Lester Cohen/Getty Images for InStyle
The cringe-worthy encounter culminated with Hyland bowing down to Phoenix with her hands in a prayer position, seemingly in awe of his talent.
Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for InStyle
Phoenix and Hyland's awkward encounter wasn't the only uncomfortable moment from the night. Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais delivered a scathing opening monologue in which he called out Hollywood for their hypocrisy, and poked fun at stars like Leonardo DiCaprio, Judi Dench, and James Corden.
- Read more:
- All the celebrities Ricky Gervais roasted in his Golden Globes opening monologue
- THEN AND NOW: This year's Golden Globe nominees in their earliest roles
- All of the TV shows and movies nominated for Golden Globes that you should be watching, but probably aren't
- 6 actors who are facing off against their own costars at the 2020 Golden Globes
Read the original article on Insider