Man beat woman with chair leg after she refused to have sex with him

Jimmy Nsubuga
·2-min read
Simon Sparshatt, 47, has been jailed for 13 years. (Police)
Simon Sparshatt, 47, has been jailed for 13 years. (Police)

A man has been jailed for 13 years after beating a woman with a chair leg and leaving her with serious head injuries when she refused to have sex with him.

Simon Sparshatt, 47, attacked the victim at his home in Waller Road, Lewisham, south-east London, on 20 November last year.

Police were called to his address by a concerned member of the public after they had heard a woman calling for help.

On arrival, officers had to force entry to the property – inside they found a 40-year-old woman with serious head injuries.

Read more: Car seized after three friends break COVID rules speeding to get takeaway

General view of Woolwich Crown Court, London.
Sparshatt was sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court in London (PA)

Read more: Female prison officer who sent sex pictures to teenage inmates is jailed

The victim alleged Sparshatt had held her against her will and then repeatedly hit her with a wooden chair leg when she had refused to have sex with him.

He was arrested and once in police custody he initially admitted attacking the victim and suggested he intended to cause her more harm.

He was subsequently charged and remanded in custody.

The victim was taken to hospital for treatment and was later discharged.

Sparshatt was sentenced to a total of 13 years in prison at Woolwich Crown Court on Thursday after pleading guilty to GBH, false imprisonment and threats to kill at the same hearing.

Read more: Burglar caught under the bed jailed for over three years

DC Cora Keogh of the South East BCU said: “This was a violent and sustained attack on a defenceless woman; if it hadn’t been for the prompt call to police by a concerned member of the public and the actions of the officers when they arrived then this could have had far more serious consequences.

“Sparshatt is a violent man and I am pleased that the court has handed him a significant jail sentence which truly reflects the seriousness of his crime.”