It’s been revealed that ‘Star Trek’ actor, Leonard Nimoy was rushed into hospital late last week following severe chest pains.
According to TMZ, Nimoy was taken into hospital last Thursday on 19 February and was later transferred to the UCLA Medical Center.
“We’re told paramedics weren’t taking chances with Captain Spock,” they said, “and got him in front of a doctor ASAP.”
It’s reported that the 83-year-old actor – who famously played Spock in the original ‘Star Trek’ series – was taken to hospital following a 911 emergency call when the actor began experiencing ‘severe chest pains’.
Unfortunately, there are no further details at this time.
Of course, we already know that Leonard Nimoy has been suffering with a condition known as COPD – Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease – which affects the actor’s breathing. In fact, he revealed this to fans just last year, blaming the illness on decades of smoking… even though he gave up more than thirty years ago.
Last seen on screen in the 2013 ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’, Nimoy gave up attending ‘Star Trek’ conventions back in 2011… but has continued his acting career with a prominent role in the sci-fi thriller, ‘Fringe’.
Of course, he was also rumoured to reprise the role of Spock for the upcoming third ‘Star Trek’ movie. And with reports that he would be joined by none other than William Shatner, it was all set to be the ‘Star Trek’ reunion we’ve all been waiting for.
Unfortunately, it seems that Paramount weren’t too happy with the script… and after writer Roberto Orci found himself off the project, it’s unclear whether or not the scenes featuring both classic ‘Star Trek’ actor will remain.
Obviously we’d love to see Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner back on the big screen together. But first and foremost, we hope that Commander Spock gets well soon.
‘Star Trek 3’ heads to cinemas on 8 July 2016.
- Justin Lin Will Direct Star Trek 3
Picture Credit: Paramount