A world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival for Lil Nas X: Long Live Montero — a concert documentary capturing rapper and gay icon Lil Nas X’s first global tour — was delayed Saturday night after a bomb threat was called in.
In a statement, festival organizers said Toronto police converged on the red carpet outside Roy Thomson Hall just before 10 p.m. after a threat had been received as the pop star, who is a Black and queer performer, was headed into the gala screening along with the film’s directors.
More from The Hollywood Reporter
But after a sweep of the King Street location to ensure the safety of fest-goers, the rap artist and his entourage was completed, the TIFF gala screening received a green light to go ahead.
“Earlier this evening, we were made aware by the Toronto Police Service of an investigation in the vicinity of the red carpet for the Lil Nas X: Long Live Montero screening. Our standard security measures remained in place during this time and the screening commenced with a slight delay. To our knowledge, this was a general threat and not directed at the film or the artist,” a TIFF festival spokesperson said in a statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter.
The Grammy-winning artist eventually took to the stage at Roy Thomson Hall to introduce the film by directors Carlos López Estrada and Zac Manuel after they captured Montero Hill, aka Lil Nas X, over 60 days on his Long Live Montero tour on camera discussing his career and his tenacity and drive to secure success in the pop world.
The diary film of Lil Nas X touring in part is supporting his debut studio album, Montero, and is produced by RadicalMedia, in association with Sony Music Entertainment, Columbia Records and Museum & Crane.
The Toronto Film Festival continues through to Sept. 17.
Best of The Hollywood Reporter