‘Weird: The Al Yankovic Story’ will launch on The Roku Channel in the U.K. on Friday, 4 November. This follows its premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, where it won the Midnight Madness People’s Choice Award. For the 45th year, the People’s Choice Awards distinguish the audience’s top titles at the Festival as voted by the viewing public. All films in TIFF’s Official Selection were eligible.
Daniel Radcliffe (The Lost City, Swiss Army Man, the Harry Potter films) is “Weird Al” Yankovic in the unexaggerated true story about the greatest musician and sex symbol of our time. The film also stars Evan Rachel Wood (Westworld, Across the Universe) as Madonna and Rainn Wilson (The Office, The Meg) as Dr. Demento.
[DOOR KICKED OPEN]
- Put it in.
- I'm tired of people thinking I'm some kind of joke.
- Your dad and I agreed it would be best if you just stop being who you are and doing the things you love.
- My whole life all I wanted
- I'm afraid we found your son at a poker party.
[PLAYING THE ACCORDION]
- is to make up new words to a song that already exists.
- Oh. Well, you should do that then.
[MUSIC - THE KNACK, "MY SHARONA"] (SINGING) My, my, my, my Sharona. My, my, my--
- Balogna. (SINGING) You're my little hungry one, hungry one. Open up a package of my bologna.
- Dude, I've got chills.
- Every once in a great while, I can spot a talent that I know is the future of music. But first, we got to find you a stage name. Al Yankovic, it's long. It's hard to pronounce. So I'm just going to throw this out there, "Weird Al" Yankovic.
- I love it.
[MUSIC - "WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC, "I LOVE ROCKY ROAD] (SINGING) I love Rocky Road. So weren't you--
- "Weird Al" has taken the world by storm.
- Do I know you?
- Madonna. I was wondering if you were going to do a parody of my song "Like a Virgin."
- I'm curious. Is that song autobiographical?
- Yes. Except for the fact that I've had a lot of sex.
[MUSIC - "WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC, "I LOVE ROCKY ROAD] (SINGING) I love Rocky Road.
- Name me one creative genius that doesn't have a checkered past involving alcohol,
- Have some medicine.
- and drugs.
- I think Madonna is a bad influence on you.
- No offense.
- I'm a train wreck. My parents wrote me off. I pushed away my band.
You are all just a bunch of normals! I'm the weird one!
- You got to take care of yourself.
- I saw in you something special, an artist who has something to give to the world.
- In front of all the billions of people watching around the world right now, all I want to say is be as weird as you want to be. You will never find true happiness until you can truly accept who you are. Thank you.
- Oh, Al. You can't smoke in here.
[CRYING OUT IN PAIN]
I totally deserved that.