Will Smith has reiterated that a new ‘Bad Boys’ film is still in the works, telling fans that it is “very, very, very close”.
It’s been 13 years since Michael Bay’s ‘Bad Boys 2’ and 21 years since the original buddy-cop action-comedy starring Smith and Martin Lawrence.
– Emma Watson and Tom Hanks star in ominous trailer for tech thriller The Circle
– Vin Diesel teases Guardians of the Galaxy spin-off starring Groot and Rocket
– Pixar reveals first details of Day of the Dead movie Coco
On Monday’s episode of US talk show ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ (via Entertainment Weekly), Will Smith was pressed on the film. “It is very, very, very close. It is very close,” he said.
Back in October Lawrence was also asked about the film on Kimmel’s show (apparently the 2017 Oscars host is a fan), to which he revealed the film would possibly shoot in March 2017. “It’s just a matter of getting the script right and doing it at the right time,” he said.
Speaking of his co-star Lawrence, Smith said: “I love that dude. That’s among the best times I’ve ever had making movies. So I’m looking forward to it.”
Called ‘Bad Boys for Life’, the sequel was given a 12 January 2018 release date by Sony back in August, making a March filming date entirely possible.
Michael Bay is too busy throwing cars at other cars and blowing up half the planet in his ‘Transformers’ movies to return here, so Joe Carnahan will sit in the director’s chair.
In November Carnahan left Sony’s planned big screen adaptation of video game ‘Uncharted’ so he could focus on the ‘Bad Boys’ sequel. “I’m too deep into ‘Bad Boys’,” he said, “and I really wanna see that through.”
The film had previously been penciled in for release in January and later June 2017. It won’t mark the end of the series however, as a fourth film is believed to be in the works.