Watch: Zack Snyder’s Justice League teaser
Batman doesn't use guns, and he doesn't swear. Bar the odd damn.
But according to director Zack Snyder, that's all set to change in his epic re-cut of the Justice League movie.
Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, he said: “Here's one piece of information nobody knows: The movie is insane and so epic and is probably rated R — that's one thing I think will happen, that it will be an R-rated version, for sure. We haven't heard from the MPAA, but that's my gut.”
Read more: The Snyder cut of Justice League is ‘locked’
Snyder went on: “There's one scene where Batman drops an F-bomb. Cyborg is not too happy with what's going on with his life before he meets the Justice League, and he tends to speak his mind.
“And Steppenwolf is pretty much just hacking people in half. So [the rating would be due to] violence and profanity, probably both.”
This is a lot to take in, given that until now, the DCEU has been aimed at a rather younger audience than that accustomed to flying f-bombs.
Snyder has been working on the re-cut through lockdown, bringing in the likes of Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, Ray Fisher as Cyborg, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and Amber Heard as Mera for reshoots, at a reported extra cost of $70 million.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Snyder has also brought in Jared Leto to reprise his role as Joker from Suicide Squad.
The movie is set to be vastly different from the critically panned original.
Snyder was all finished with his movie when he quit the production to be with his family, following the tragic death of his daughter.
Warner Bros then brought in Joss Whedon to complete the production, who then conducted considerable reshoots of his own.
The reshoots have since been mired in controversy, after Ray Fisher called out Whedon's behaviour on set, calling it 'gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable'.
An investigation took place, with Warner Bros reporting on Friday last week that 'remedial action was taken', though it did not specify what that meant.
Ray Fisher later tweeted:
Over 80 people were interviewed for @WarnerMedia’s Justice League investigation.
A fair, thorough, and protected process for witnesses was the first (and most important) step.
Ensuring that action is taken is the next.
Thank you to all who lent their voice!🙏🏽
— Ray Fisher (@ray8fisher) December 12, 2020
Snyder's cut of the movie, which is said to run at four hours long, is set to be serialised and released on HBO Max in 2021.
Watch: Momoa supports Fisher’s Justice League claims