Christmas is the perfect time to host a fun festive quiz (with a tasty tipple or two, of course). No time to make your own? No problem! We've done the hard work for you and compiled 56 Christmas quiz questions (and answers) to keep you entertained, and to test everyone's general knowledge.
From who invented the Christmas tree to where Boxing Day comes from, these fun questions will liven up any family gathering. On that note, choose your quiz team and let the games begin! See how many you will get right...
• Christmas quiz questions •
1. Where did the Christmas tree originate from?
2. What is the highest-grossing Christmas film of all time?
3. Where do Christmas gonks come from?
4. In what film would you hear the greeting 'Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal'?
5. Before turkey, what was the traditional Christmas Day meal in England?
6. Which artist had the most Christmas No.1 singles?
7. Who invented electric lights for the Christmas tree?
8. How much does the world's most expensive Christmas decoration cost?
9. When did John Lewis open its online Christmas shop?
10. Where is the UK's tallest Christmas tree situated?
11. Where is the oldest Christmas market in the world?
12. What is a tree with fake snow called?
13. How many gifts were given in total in 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' song?
14. What colour are mistletoe berries?
15. What is the most popular Christmas plant in the UK?
16. How tall is the record holder for the tallest-ever snowman?
17. How many Christmas puddings are sold in the UK on average?
18. Which country donates the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square?
19. Who invented the Christmas cracker?
20. Where does the name Boxing Day come from?
21. When was Christmas first celebrated in the UK?
22. How many tips do traditional snowflakes have?
23. What is the most popular Christmas tree topper ornament?
24. According to UK traditions, when should Christmas decorations come down?
25. Who started the tradition of exchanging gifts?
26. Where does the tradition of hanging gifts on the Christmas tree come from?
27. Why do we give chocolate coins for Christmas?
28. Who wrote A Christmas Carol?
29. What fruit is usually placed in stockings?
30. What was the Home Alone decor inspired by?
31. Who bought the Christmas tree to England?
32. Who invented the Christmas wreath?
33. What is the most popular Christmas tree in the UK?
34. What was the first Christmas tree decoration?
35. When do the 12 days of Christmas start?
36. In which year was the first Christmas card sent?
37. Where are the McCallisters going on holiday when they leave Kevin behind in Home Alone?
38. Stollen is the traditional fruit cake of which country?
39. How many real Christmas trees are sold each year in the UK?
40. What is the name for the period in-between Christmas and New Year?
41. What country started the tradition of hanging stockings?
42. How many Christmas trees are grown in Europe each year?
43. What does holly represent?
44. When were electric Christmas tree lights invented?
45. Before being developed into a toy, how did Elf on the Shelf begin?
46. Which accessory do you add to the base of your Christmas tree to hide the stand or trunk?
47. When were turkeys first brought to England?
48. Aside from a fireplace mantel, where is the most popular place to use a Christmas garland in the home?
49. Who designed the upside-down Christmas tree at Claridge's Hotel in 2017?
50. Which country invented glass baubles?
51. What is a Christmas swag?
52. How many ghosts show up in A Christmas Carol?
53. In what year did Raymond Briggs' The Snowman first air on TV in the UK?
54. In an interview with House Beautiful UK, what did Kirstie Allsopp reveal she eats for Christmas lunch?
55. Where do advent calendars originate from?
56. Which beloved character died in the 2012 Downton Abbey Christmas special?
• Christmas quiz answers •
2. The animated Dr Seuss' The Grinch (2018), raking in $512 million
4. Home Alone
5. The traditional Christmas meal in England was a pig's head and mustard
6. The Beatles
7. Edward Johnson in the US in 1882
8. The emu egg set in 24-carat gold cost £8.9 million
9. 31st August 2023
10. Wakehurst, West Sussex
11. Dresden's Striezelmarkt, Germany
12. A flocked Christmas tree
(*Award a point for: snowy Christmas tree)
16. 113 feet
17. 25 million
19. London-based confectioner and baker Tom Smith
20. Boxing Day was a traditional day off for servants in which they received a 'Christmas Box' from their master.
21. In the 6th century
23. An angel
24. Twelfth Night, 5th or 6th January
25. The Romans
26. The Druids
27. To honour Saint Nicholas
28. Charles Dickens
29. An orange
30. Antique cards and Norman Rockwell paintings
31. Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III, installed the first indoor tree (a yew tree) at Queen's Lodge, Windsor, in 1800 to mark the festive season
(*Award half a point: Prince Albert, who, after importing several spruce firs from Germany in 1840, was credited with introducing the Christmas tree tradition to the masses)
32. A German Lutheran pastor named Johann Hinrich Wichern
33. Nordmann Fir
34. Candles, introduced by Martin Luther in Germany
35. 25th December
39. 8 million
42. 60 million
43. Jesus Christ's crown of thorns
44. 1882 by Edward Johnson in the US
45. Elf on the Shelf began as a children's picture book in 2005
46. Tree skirt
48. The stairs
49. Karl Lagerfeld
52. Four spirits
53. 26th December 1982
54. Steak and chips (read our interview with Kristie Allsopp here)
56. Matthew Crawley
You Might Also Like