Ewan McGregor is more excited about Obi-Wan Kenobi series than he was for last two 'Star Wars' prequels

Gregory Wakeman
·Contributor
·2-min read
Ewan McGregor is returning as Obi-Wan Kenobi for a Disney+ series (Image by Lucasfilm)
Ewan McGregor is returning as Obi-Wan Kenobi for a Disney+ series. (Image by Lucasfilm)

Ewan McGregor has admitted he is “more excited” to reprise his Star Wars character Obi-Wan Kenobi in a new Disney+ series than he was for either Attack Of The Clones or Revenge Of The Sith.

The actor told Empire Online that he is particularly excited to work on the upcoming show with director Deborah Chow, who previously oversaw episodes of The Mandalorian.

“The storylines are going to be really good I think,” he said. “I'm just excited to play him again. It's been long enough since I played him before.”

It has now been 15 years since McGregor last played Obi-Wan Kenobi, during which time he said Star Wars fans had become more appreciative of the prequel trilogy, especially those who watched The Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith as children.

British actor McGregor poses as he arrives for the UK premiere of the Star Wars film Revenge of the Sith in London.  British actor Ewan McGregor poses as he arrives for the UK premiere of the Star Wars film Revenge of the Sith in London's Leicester Square May 16, 2005. Fans waited for hours in pouring rain to catch a glimpse of the stars arriving for the UK premiere of the final Star Wars film, Revenge of the Sith. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez
McGregor arrives for the UK premiere of Revenge of the Sith in Leicester Square, May 16, 2005. (Reuters/Dylan Martinez)

“You know, our films weren't much liked when they came out, by my generation who loved the first ones,” McGregor said.

“I think people of our generation wanted to feel the way they'd felt when they saw those first three movies when they were kids, and George [Lucas] wanted to take our ones in a different direction, he had a different idea.

“It was tricky at the time, I remember... I've met people who, they mean a lot to them, those films, more so than the original three, and I'm like, 'Are you kidding?'”

Earlier this week McGregor confirmed that production on the spin-off series is due to begin early next year, while he also teased that it might be a standalone season.