It’s been almost one year since the West Hollywood City Council voted to approve a proposal calling for the removal of Donald Trump’s star from the Hollywood Walk of Fame back in August 2018. And although it hasn’t yet happened, people on Twitter are banding together to suggest that another celebrity take the president’s place — Carrie Fisher.
The trending hashtag #AStarForCarrie was born on Wednesday morning when Fisher’s Star Wars co-star Mark Hamill addressed last year’s city council vote and suggested she’d be a perfect permanent addition to the famed walk.
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) June 19, 2019
“Good riddance!” the actor wrote. “I know just who should replace him.”
Hours later, tens of thousands of people have joined in support, noting that there’s “no one more deserving” than Fisher.
I can think of no one more deserving than one of the stars of Hollywood’s First Franchise and one of its all time best script doctors. She was a gift. #AStarForCarrie
— Tresspassers William (@TheAmazingMcWil) June 19, 2019
She deserves an entire galaxy of stars....💞💞
— Flying Lizards (@flyinglizards) June 19, 2019
A. That's gonna hurt and B. I'm stunned that Carrie Fisher doesn't have a star already.
— Sanjeev Bhaskar (@TVSanjeev) June 19, 2019
— Elizabeth McRoberts (@Gisen27) June 19, 2019
Somebody even deemed the viral discussion its own kind of Star Wars.
All this talk about a star... are we really going to turn this into some sort of... Star Wars?
Okay, now that this terrible pun is out of my system, where do I sign to give Carrie her star? #AStarForCarrie
— Gorthian Hellwind (@Aquila009) June 19, 2019
The Hollywood Walk of Fame hasn’t publicly responded to the pleas and didn’t immediately reply to Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment. But it might just be time to remove the president’s star after it has been destroyed multiple times.
However, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which administers the walk, has previously said it’ll never happen.
“The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce has received inquiries asking whether we are planning to remove the stars of Walk of Famers because of alleged misconduct. The answer is no,” said Leron Gubler, Hollywood Chamber of Commerce president and CEO.
Read more: Spike Lee clashes with Donald Trump
“The Hollywood Walk of Fame is a registered historic landmark. Once a star has been added to the Walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.”
“Because of this, we have never removed a star from the Walk.”
Former chairman, Johnny Grant, previously made a similar statement.
“Stars are awarded for professional achievement to the world of entertainment and contributions to the community. A celebrity’s politics, philosophy, irrational behavior, or outrageous remarks have never been cause to remove a Walk of Fame star,” he said.
With reporting by Kerry Justich, Yahoo Celebrity