Sony vetoed live-action 'Spider-Man' cameos in 'Into the Spider-Verse'
Sony said no to plans for vocal cameos from the three live-action Spider-man actors in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
The time-bending animation brought in multiple incarnations of the webslinger from different comic book worlds, but the live-action Peter Parkers were conspicuous by their absence.
Read more: Lord and Miller developing live-action Marvel shows
Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who produced the movie, took part in a Twitter watch-along this week and revealed that they had pitched an “ambitious” scene in which Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland would appear in voice form.
Miller said that it was Sony who poured cold water on the idea, and it ultimately didn’t happen.
The 44-year-old filmmaker wrote: “We pitched the Sony brass an ambitious tag involving Spider-Ham, Tobey, Andrew and Tom. They felt it was ‘too soon’.”
We pitched the Sony brass an ambitious tag involving Spider-Ham, Tobey, Andrew, and Tom. They felt it was “too soon”#SpiderVerse #QuarantineWatchParty https://t.co/E91H1eLysr
— Christopher Miller (@chrizmillr) May 7, 2020
Holland had previously revealed that he was in line for a Spider-Verse cameo at one stage and said he was “heartbroken” that it didn’t pan out.
Into the Spider-Verse was one of the most well-reviewed comic book movies ever, scoring a 97% approval rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.
Read more: Tom Holland wants Maguire and Garfield cross-over
The movie also did stellar business at the box office, scoring a solid $376m (£303m) worldwide.
Unsurprisingly given that success, Sony has confirmed a Spider-Verse sequel will arrive in cinemas in April 2022.
The world of Spider-Man is currently spread across both Disney and Sony, with Tom Holland’s take on the webslinger a key part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Despite a brief furore in 2019, Marvel and Sony were able to come to terms once again on a sharing agreement for the character.
Read more: Sony and Disney want long-term Spidey future
Holland was reportedly instrumental in sealing the deal, with a drunken phone call to then Disney CEO Bob Iger.
Meanwhile, Venom director Ruben Fleischer has confirmed that Sony’s burgeoning superhero universe is ultimately building to a Spider-Man cross-over.