As the 40th anniversary of ‘Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope’, or, to most people ‘Star Wars’ approaches, we find out five amazing things about the iconic movie from the film’s clapper loader Jamie Harcourt and creature effects technician Nick Maley. Jamie Harcourt (seen above holding the clapper board) remembers examining a print of the finished movie before it hit cinemas while shooting his next film.
Will we finally get an original Star Wars cut? It’s no secret that ‘Star Wars’ fans have been clamouring for an unaltered release of the original ‘Star Wars’ trilogy. Essentially, it would be an unaltered, pre-Special Edition version of the original ‘Star Wars’ movies.
As ‘Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk’ is released – the first movie to be shot at the super high-definition rate of 120 frames per second – here are 10 other times films broke new ground and altered filmmaking for good. This 1987 drama starring Sting and Kathleen Turner is nondescript in almost every way. It had to be transferred to 35mm for exhibition as projectors still showed film.
George Lucas has a long and chequered history of tinkering with the original ‘Star Wars’ trilogy since release. “Films never get finished, they get abandoned” he once famously said, and he’s never managed to fully abandon his sci-fi trilogy yet. The first changes were made to ‘Star Wars’ just weeks after the film hit cinemas in 1977 when a new audio track was added featuring amended sound effects and alternate dialogue takes.
The Force is with Los Angeles. George Lucas has selected L.A. over San Francisco to be home to his $1 billion museum, with the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art set to feature pieces from the filmmaker’s personal collection, including memorabilia from Star Wars and other films, vintage photographs and an impressive selection of traditional paintings. The museum is eyeing a May 4, 2020, launch, according to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti.
There’s probably no better example of why Carrie Fisher was such a treasure for the whole galaxy than her roasting of George Lucas back in 2005, which saw her delicious wit savagely take down the Star Wars creator. Fisher made these remarks and quips at the AFI Life Achievement Award: A Tribute To George Lucas event where she brought the house down with her riotous diatribe. After starting off her speech by admitting, “George Lucas ruined my life,” Carrie Fisher joked about Lucas being a sadist, her first husband using a Leia doll for voodoo antics, Lucas owning and exploiting her likeness, and her jealously that Natalie Portman got to wear a bra in the way that only she could.
Film fans everywhere are still reeling from the loss of screen legend Carrie Fisher, who passed away on 27 December following a cardiac arrest four days earlier.
Announced by George Lucas in 2005, ‘Star Wars: Underworld’ was going to be a television series exploring previously-unseen parts of the galaxy far, far away. Eleven years later, all that’s left are dozens of scripts and reams of concept art apparently sitting somewhere in a Disney vault.
‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ may still a week-and-a-half away but it doesn’t mean some people haven’t seen it already – such as ‘Star Wars’ creator George Lucas, for example.
If you’d ever noticed some eerie similarities between the fourth Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, and the very first big screen Marvel Comics adaptation, then you’re not alone.
George Lucas’s first iconic creation ‘Star Wars’ has already been shepherded to huge critical and commercial success without him – and it seems much the same is happening with Indiana Jones. Speaking to Collider, screenwriter David Koepp says Lucas is “not [involved in ‘Indiana Jones 5’], to my knowledge. While Lucas neither directed nor wrote the screenplays on any of the existing four ‘Indiana Jones’ films, the character is his creation, and he conceived the stories on all the films as well as serving as executive producer.
Or never meet George Lucas. Not sure of the lesson here, but Ewan McGregor has revealed details of his first meeting with his boss on the ‘Star Wars’ prequel movies, and his enduring embarrassment about it. “I had to read it in the producer’s office – like, literally, being almost locked in with the script, so that it doesn’t get leaked – and then being shown around the sets with George.
Following the death of ‘Star Wars’ actor Kenny Baker over the weekend, family, friends and celebs have paid tribute to the diminutive star. Baker had been suffering from heart disease and respiratory failure for a number of years, and though he was still attending ‘Star Wars’ events and conventions until very recently, he died on Friday at the age of 81. In his obituary on Starwars.com, director George Lucas said: “Kenny Baker was a real gentleman as well as an incredible trooper who always worked hard under difficult circumstances.
Four different directors, almost 10 years in the making and costing an alleged £100million, yet ‘Empires of the Deep’, China’s planned answer to ‘Avatar’, remains unreleased. “I think I’m the only one who’s seen it other than the creators,” says actor Steve Polites, who signed a three month contract in 2009 to play the hero of ‘Empires of the Deep’ (and weirdly two other characters), only to find himself still stuck in China nine months later. “[Jon has] a really good heart and the core of a great idea, but couldn’t let go of it,” says Mark Byers, a Hollywood veteran who came on in late 2007 as a producer to try and help.
Adapted from a cult comic book and exec-produced by George Lucas, the 1986 mega-flop was the first standalone movie starring a Marvel character. Thirty years on, some of the cast explain how they made one of the most derided films in Hollywood history.
You’d have thought that Samuel L Jackson wouldn’t want anything to do with another franchise thanks to his repeated turns as Nick Fury in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. During a Twitter Q&A Jackson was asked whose idea it was to kill off Mace Windu, who killed Jango Fett and was one of the coolest elements of the trilogy. After he explained that Lucas oversaw the character’s destruction because he was the last one of any importance to survive ‘Revenge Of The Sith’, he then emphatically added, “In my mind I’m not dead.
Disney has confirmed that a new ‘Indiana Jones’ adventure is on the way in 2019, with Steven Spielberg set to direct and Harrison Ford returning to the title role.
Peter Mayhew, the actor under the fur suit in the original Star Wars trilogy and The Force Awakens, has been taking to Twitter for the past few weeks to post his script for the 1977 film that launched the franchise. For years, it was clear to pretty much everyone in the galaxy that Han wasn’t going to be outrdrawn by a lizard-looking twerp, and that before Greedo could pull the trigger, Han shot first.
You think there might be someone interesting in the stasis pod, but thanks to the secrecy surrounding Christopher Nolan’s movies, you would never have thought it was a megastar like Matt Damon. Playing a supposedly iconic lone astronaut who has encouraged Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway to come to his distant planet in the hope of relocating the dying Earth’s population, imagine our surprise when Matt turns out to have done the opposite. In the wake of Bowie’s passing, seeing his witty and charismatic cameo in the 2001 fashion farce is a reminder of how great he was on-screen.
Twins Kate and Ruth Greenfield are the only ones credited with playing baby Elora Danan in Ron Howard’s 1988 fantasy adventure starring Warwick Davis and Val Kilmer, with a story by George Lucas. Instead Brit Kate Greenfield went to De Montfort University to study Forensic Science.
Of course, there’s one small issue – that 'Jurassic World’ helmsman Colin Trevorrow is already in place for it, but seemingly it’s nothing personal. Brazilian fan Yuri Luiz of São Paulo, Brazil, is behind the campaign, and at the time of publishing, the petition was close to reaching its target of 5000 signees. In a statement to Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy, he said: “Bring back George Lucas for the Star Wars movies.
After causing many jaws to drop by saying he had sold ‘Star Wars’ to “white slavers,” George Lucas has issued a public apology. In his widely released statement, the ‘Star Wars’ creator says, “I misspoke and used a very inappropriate analogy and for that I apologise. “I have been working with Disney for 40 years and chose them as the custodians of Star Wars because of my great respect for the company and [Disney chief executive] Bob Iger’s leadership.
Lucas sold LucasFilm (including the rights for Star Wars’) to Disney for $4 billion back in 2012. In the same interview he also criticised ‘The Force Awakens’ (directed by JJ Abrams, pictured above with Lucas) as “too retro”.
It’s a topic of much debate among fans of Star Wars – which order should the movies be watched in? Had they been made sequentially, this obviously wouldn’t be of any consequence at all, but as the last (now middle) three were made and released first, followed by the prequels, things have got a bit mixed up.