'The Crown' producer says Netflix drama isn't likely to depict Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'quitting' the Royal family

Amy West
·Contributor
LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 07: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex depart Canada House on January 07, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
'The Crown' producer Suzanne Mackie has said that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'quitting' the Royal family is unlikely to make it into the show (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)

The Crown is unlikely to show Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ‘quitting’ the Royal family in future seasons, an executive producer on the award-winning Netflix drama has told fans.

Following the couple’s announcement yesterday, which explained that they are “stepping back” from their “senior” duties in order to split their time between the UK and North America and strive to become “financially independent,” Suzanne Mackie downplayed speculation that it would provide a storyline for later episodes.

Read more: Olivia Colman brands press 'evil' for treatment of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

“To be honest, whatever the life of The Crown is after where we are now, I doubt we’ll ever go as far into the present day,” she told PA. “I think we'll probably - we won't travel into the present day.”

The show’s third season, which premiered in November 2019, covered Elizabeth II’s reign from 1964 to 1977.

Olivia Colman current plays Elizabeth II in Netflix's award-winning drama The Crown (Netflix)
Olivia Colman current plays Elizabeth II in Netflix's award-winning drama The Crown (Netflix)

It is believed that the follow-up instalment, which is set to see Helena Bonham Carter, Tobias Menzies and Olivia Colman reprise their roles as Princess Margaret, Prince Philip and Her Majesty respectively, will depict significant moments of history throughout the 1980s.

It has been rumoured that Imelda Staunton will take over from Colman - who replaced Claire Foy- as monarch in The Crown’s fifth series. However, Netflix denies such claims.

Having become parents last year, Prince Harry and Meghan are keen to raise their son Archie “with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born” but also provide their “family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of [their] new charitable entity.”

WOKINGHAM, UNITED KINGDOM - JULY 10: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 24 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex attend the King Power Royal Charity Polo Match, in which Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex were competing for the Khun Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha Memorial Polo Trophy at Billingbear Polo Club on July 10, 2019 in Wokingham, England. (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are keen to split their time between the UK and North America (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

According to the BBC, no other senior royals were told about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s plans ahead of them releasing their statement - including the Queen - and several members are said to be “hurt” by the decision.

This isn’t the first time Mackie has insisted that a real-life event isn’t appropriate source material for The Crown.

Read more: 'The Crown' star Jason Watkins found Aberfan scenes 'very difficult' to film following daughter's death

When Prince Andrew, the Queen’s son, was quizzed about his relationship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, and the accusations levelled at him by Virginia Giuffre, in a controversial Newsnight interview, many assumed it would make it into the show.

But Mackie said: "That was a particularly low point and it resonated for us in many ways but in terms of the huge public exposure of it, not great."