Jeremy Edwards: Second COVID lockdown destroyed me

Hollyoaks star Jeremy Edwards has told how the second lockdown 'destroyed' him credit:Bang Showbiz
Hollyoaks star Jeremy Edwards has told how the second lockdown 'destroyed' him credit:Bang Showbiz

Jeremy Edwards has told how the second coronavirus lockdown “absolutely destroyed” him.

The 51-year-old actor - who has played Kurt Benson in Channel 4 soap 'Hollyoaks' - had to resort to borrowing money from pals as he wasn't able to earn cash due to the entertainment industry shutting down as a result of the pandemic.

He said: “I didn’t mind the first one too much but the second absolutely destroyed me. I had to borrow money, there was nothing else I could do. All that I’m earning now is making up for that time. But I’m lucky that I’ve got work so I will be back on track this summer."

The father of two - who shares daughter Scarlett, four, and 13-month-old son Theodore, with his wife Lydia Metz – welcomed their second child during lockdown in March last year.

Despite the good news, the former ‘X Factor Celebrity’ star has admitted he was unable to remain positive as he had a lot going on, including suffering from terrible pain due to a slipped disc.

He said: “We had it all going on. My wife was pregnant, my son was born in lockdown and I had terrible back pain. At one point I was in so much agony, I could barely walk. It’s due to a slipped disc from an accident and it just keeps coming back. I’m in constant pain every day, which is horrible.”

Jeremy first appeared in ‘Hollyoaks’ from 1995 to 1999 and he made a comeback on the show 21 years later, which he now says was "a mistake", due to the COVID pandemic impacting his return.

He added to the Metro newspaper: “I was supposed to be there for six months to a year, but COVID impacted that massively. They brought me in, which I thought was a mistake because it wasn’t what I thought it should have been. There was so many restrictions with filming that I couldn’t go near anyone and I only had one storyline.

"I was in and out in less than three months with the promise that they’d bring me back properly when things calmed down but I haven’t heard anything."