Alright, alright, alright… Richard Linklater says he’s still planning to make a follow-up to ‘Dazed and Confused’, the high school movie that launched Matthew McConaughey’s career back in 1993.
The beloved film, which also features early performances from Ben Affleck, Milla Jovovich and Renee Zellweger, seems an unlikely film to “sequelise” but Linklater told us it’s more of a thematic follow-up rather than a direct sequel.
[Read more: Jon Favreau talks ‘Chef’]
“I have a college movie that I consider [a spiritual sequel],” he explains in our video above, “It won’t be the same characters necessarily, but it’ll be like the college version [of ‘Dazed and Confused’]”.
‘Dazed and Confused’ is a free-wheeling ensemble pic portraying the final day of school for a bunch of teenagers in 1976. It’s since gone on to become an endlessly quotable classic, with Entertainment Weekly naming it #17 on their list of “The Top 50 Cult Films”.
Linklater was in town promoting his critically-acclaimed new film ‘Boyhood’. It’s a story, filmed over 12 years, of a boy growing from infancy to college age using the same actors throughout.
He explained that his “college film” will also be “a sequel to ‘Boyhood’ too”. In typically laid-back Linklater style, the Texan director isn’t sure if or when he’ll get the ‘Dazed and Confused’ sequel off the ground.
Linklater’s latest film ‘Boyhood’ (in cinemas 11 July) is earning rave reviews, with many proclaiming it to be the best film of 2014 so far.
You can find out for yourself when it opens this Friday.
Read more on Yahoo Movies:
Image credit: Getty Images